Friday, April 12, 2013

The Other Guy


I always feel like there are two versions of me: The man I am today...
 and this guy.
There is a version of myself that is in the here and now 
and my other, "better" self, waiting in the wings.  
An idealistic example of the me that I am always striving to be.
On rare occasions, these two souls meet, but mostly, one just watches the other--
a reflection, no doubt,
but each claims to possess a different part of me.
I think I am a better person for the effort required, one, chasing the other--
The me in the moment striving to be more and 
the me in my head yearning to be in the moment.
This dance, this... conversation I am constantly having with myself,
is a part of every decision I make... of every choice I choose.
And because of that, I know the one thing that both these guys understand
Is that one can't live without the other.
Certainty is the brazen siren's song-- an echo-- not your own.
Vulnerability... well, that... that is the only true way to find your Voice. 

2 comments:

  1. "Vulnerability... well, that... that is the only true way to find your Voice." Sometimes hard but always true. And for the record, I'm pretty fond of both guys.

    ReplyDelete